Friday, June 10, 2011

Oh no! The Matrix!

Sorry! I didn't have time to post this yesterday or even earlier today, but this is from yesterday during our day in class! I apologize!

Today (well yesterday) we all went to classes with different Brazilian hosts.  It was so exciting to meet all the students.  Each student is part of a class that stays together for the whole day.  Camille and I were fortunate enough to join class 3K on day of Brazilian schooling.  We had fun trying to interpret physics in Portuguese (which is challenging enough in English) and giving up on understanding Portuguese presentations in history.  We then went to biology, where we had time to sit on a mat and talk with the Brazilians.  They were so excited to show and teach us everything about Brazilian dancing and everything Brazilian.  Every moment was filled with new words or new facts or new names (few of which I have committed to memory, although I'm trying).  It was great to see how involved and excited our class was in everything.  They were equally involved and excited with every subject that was brought up, which ranged from Lady Gaga videos to the workings of the brain. 

The most challenging class was math.  Not being a huge fan of math in the first place, it was extremely difficult to understand a brand new math concept in Portuguese.  Camille, who was sitting a couple chairs away from me, seemed to understand this concept rather quickly, while I sat there in utter confusion for a few minutes as the teacher (who spoke little English) wrote problems on the board.  Soon, though, the majority of the class was surrounding me and attempting to explain things to me in English.  Amanda (one of my Brazilian hosts for the day) was furiously writing new problems and ways to understand it up on the board, as the teacher watched in excitement, and then three students sat around me trying to explain and help me to understand.  Other students from around the room continued to check in on me to make sure I was understanding.  I was surprised because everyone genuinely wanted me to succeed.  I have decided that this school has one of the most supportive student bodies. 

Ah! Well I just realized that it is past 8:30 and now I have to go back to my dorms! Goodnight America! More from Brazil soon!

Isobel

No comments:

Post a Comment