Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'm on a Boat

Oi from the Pantanal from Camille! It's been so crazy and fun here, I don't even know where to start! Today, my group went on a wonderful boat ride on the Cuiabá River, part of which is located right here in the resort. At 3:30 (or 15:30), after a morning full of activities, we donned fluorescent yellow life jackets and headed down to the river. We were in a small boat with an outboard motor, which provided a wholly different experience from our cruise on the big boat yesterday. We quickly gained speed, and it was impossible not to smile. As we sped down the river, we saw all sorts of birds. Seriously, there was a crazy amount of birds. Every so often, our guide would kill the engine and we would drift to the side of the river to get a close view of some exotic animal. We saw a huge white, black, and red bird, which is only found in the Pantanal (I can't remember what it's called right now!), two Iguanas, a Capybara, and tons of alligators. I swear, we probably saw 20 alligators. We were able to get close to them - uncomfortably so - and at one point, one suddenly moved and I screamed!  Everytime I saw a splash in the water, I was reminded of what lurked in the river - Piranas! Unlike the ones sitting wrapped in my suitcase, these were dangerous; I was scared to put my hands near the water! As we turned around to head back to the resort, the sun was setting and, however clichĂ© this may be, I felt like I was in a movie. It was an amazing trip, and I honestly couldn't believe that I had the opportunity to do something so special!
-Camille
(Sorry there are no pictures! The computer that I'm on won't let me upload them. I'll do a picture post at some point later, when I have some free time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment