Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Day in Class

Oi! I'm currently sitting in the library and finally have time to tell some stories. This morning, at 7:30, I had Calculus. Calculus at 7:30 IN THE MORNING. I thought that I might be able to understand some of it because, I mean, numbers are numbers no matter where you are in the world, but was I wrong! The kids are so smart and were able to comprehend the difficult topics. Also, despite the early getup, the students were very awake and excited to start the day. I took notes even though I had no idea what was going on, but I think they were learning about the "matriz", which is something we'll probably learn about next year. Who knows. One thing I did notice, however, was the starkness of the rooms. Just a few posters here and there, but the classes are mainly just about student involvement with the teacher. The conversations between the kids and the teacher are constant and the laughing and joking is nonstop. I love it! All of the students are always so happy and supportive of each other all the time. Even in gym class, when they were practicing some boxing (I think...) moves, one boy was finally able to do one of the moves, and everyone applauded and cheered for him. That sort of support is constant here, and it is wonderful to be around.

After math, we had Portuguese class. I didn't know what was going on half of the time, but thankfully I had Morgan Jones there with me to joke around with. The students taught us basic numbers, colors, and phrases in Portuguese. They seemed so pleased and cheered for us when we were able to say things in Portuguese! After Portuguese was Chemistry/Physics, which made a bit of sense seeing as though they were talking about electricity...I think.

Then, lunch! We all sat with our hosts and the Riverstone students, who arrived this afternoon. They were very jet lagged (understandably), but excited to be here. After lunch came English (YES! A CLASS I COULD UNDERSTAND!) and we played a game involving the guessing of specific words using clues. All of the students are very good at English and constantly trying very hard to speak well. In the middle of class, we were discussing the recent birth of a teacher's baby, and the teacher explained that the baby was "delivered". The students were all confused that such a term would be used when talking about a baby. One girl even said, "But...he is a baby, not a pizza! Pizzas are delivered...not babies!" This type of encounter happened frequently as many of the students were confused about a few English words. It was fun for us to teach them and help them understand. After English, we had an advisor meeting with the guitar teacher (who happens to be Raisa's advisor) and I was able to check my email and post a brief paragraph on the blog. After the meeting was snack time (which we all LOVE...can we have it back at home, please?) and we were once again surrounded by the students and had a great time. During snack time, it started to rain, so we were given big plastic ponchos to wear outside to the next class, so what did we do? Put them on inside, of course. We posed for pictures with many of the students and all of the Brazilians thought it was hilarious that we had put them on inside. Following snack was the Model UN meeting, and all I could think about was the fact that these students are constantly busy with class and homework and meetings and projects and meals and AHH! They are such hard workers!

It is currently 6:40 and the students are still in workshops. Dinner is at 7:00, but we are all pretty tired from the busy day. However, I am sure the meal will be amazing (as they all have been) and we will once again enjoy the company of many friendly students.

Well, I'm off to enjoy another delicious dinner and to make at least 10 more friends. Yay! Boa noite!

Sophia

1 comment: