Friday, June 10, 2011

Do you like seafood dish?

If you are around a Brazilian, don't say that.  It supposedly sounds very similar to a word that I will get in trouble for posting on here but sounds like duck.  But as much fun as it is to say that and hear the reactions from all the astonished brazilians, it's much more fun to talk and listen to all the portuguese that's being spoken.  It's a constant ebb and flow of portuguese and the Brazilians don't seem to care if someone else is already talking when they start to talk.  They just love to talk and to talk.  It's quite surprising, but it has made me more talkative (amazing, isn't it?!).  Even when they speak english, they talk over each other and no one seems to care that they have been interrupted.  Of course, this makes understanding the portuguese that's being said much much harder to understand because I have to filter out what I'm trying to listen to against what I am hearing.  Already my portuguese has improved so much.  During dinner and beforehand and afterwards I try to talk portuguese with everyone.  This is harder than it sounds because everyone just wants to talk english although Gloria has told everyone that they can't talk to me in english.  They do it anyways.  Almost everyone here speaks english and most people can understand a few words.

But enough of the boring stuff (although it may be interesting).  Today in the evening I went to a spanish class (it wasn't really a class but I don't know what else to call it) with everyone but Camille (I can't remember if she was there or not).  The Brazilians were telling each other about their cities and describing them (it's hot, it's full of trees, it's near the coast, there are lots of parties and events) so we told them all about Sun Valley and what exciting things go on there.  Then after that, Sophia, Meredith, and Morgan left and missed the best part of the class: soap operas!!!!  We watched a spanish soap opera that was overly dramatic and hilariously convoluted.  It was like Besos y Lágrimas (an awesome soap opera making fun of soap operas starring Antonio Banderas).  Google it and watch it.  

But anyways, that is all for now.  Be sure to tune in next post for more interesting stories that don't seem to have a point but I enjoy writing about. 

Eric

PS. Any grammar mistakes are not my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment